Drus Griutinge (main text)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Apr 18 17:39:26 UTC 2007

> > ufsniþanai stainam "slain with stones" – ufsneiþan seems to mean
> > literally "to slaughter an animal", "to kill with a knife or sword".
> > How could you do it with stones?

> Good point. I'll think about that one. Possible excuses: an
acceptable synonym in poetry? And ON 'drepa' doesn't only mean to
kill by striking. Or alternatively:

> maurþridai stainam
magjus juþan bai.

> Okay, not exactly murdered; I'm sure Ermanaric could argue
self-defense, but again possible an acceptable poetic license?

Or maybe change the English to "slaughtered with stones"...  On second
thoughts, I just realised, we have 'afslahan'.  That should do the trick.