Drus Griutinge (Balamber)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 19 10:38:28 UTC 2007

- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Bal¬ðs Balambair
> mi¬ð seinaim brandam qam;
>
> That genitive, Balambairis, must have crept in from an earlier
> version.  Still contemplating Walhamers; I'm sticking with this for
> now as it just sounds fiercer!

Several years ago I made up a stanza about Balamber, both in Gothic
and in Latin. I presupposed that he was in truth
Walamers ¡°slain/famous¡±, a noble Goth of the Amal blood who
practiced ¡°dark arts¡± and was therefore banished together with his
female kin (haljarunos), aligned himself with the coming Huns
showing them the way into Gut¬ðiuda and took his revenge. He was
somehow connected (re-incarnated? or un-dead?) with Uualamir who led
the Ostrogoths as Hunnish subjects to battle on Catalaunic fields on
Attila¡¯s side, ¨ú century later. This short versiculus of which I
recalled in the course of our discussion can in no way compete with
Llama¡¯s magnificent work, it has a very strange rhyme (something
between alliterative and mediaeval Latin meters, or, better to say,
between them as I imagined them to be), it (its author) doesn¡¯t know
wight about alliteration types or syllable quantities etc. You may
see it below, just to feel the contrast.

Jains ist sa airiza Amale ¬ðiudans
Lubjaleis listeigs, ludjai usgaisjands
Hairus sa hardista in handau Attilins
Hari nu tiuhi¬ð, triggws ai¬ða seinamma

Olim is erat rex Amalorum
Ueneficus callidus, facie terrens
Ensis durissimus in Attilae manu
Exercitum ducit uoto fidelis

¡°He was once a king of Amal blood,
[Now he¡¯s] a treacherous wizard, his face is dreadful.
[He is] the sword most hard (cruel) in Attila¡¯s hand.
Now he leads his army in fulfillment of his oath.¡±

Maybe it could come from a Visigoth who was fighting on another
side? I guess you know the source of inspiration for this...

Ualarauans