More Words!

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Apr 21 01:06:20 UTC 2007

Hails!

Sumaim izwara ist aufto faurawaurpa "Hauha-froniska" ju kunþa; jus
izwizei swa so nist waurdaleista ize sokjan maguþ her:
http://www.hafronska.org/pages/loadlists.php?cat=32
Faurawaurpa duginniþ hrainjan Eisalandiska þo ju filuhrainidon.
Ahmatidamma mis þairh suma niujawaurde ize wisandin atbaira
*woþjon (qn. "sukkair" < Gu. woþeis), ana ustaikna gasulidon
þamma Hauha-froniskin "sæta" < Eis. sætur. Anþaraim ist
raihtis *sukkair (nhva.). Jah unte galaistida laistai gaumawairþai
waurde "ammaunia" jah "ameino", ustaikna nu "ameinoaket" swa:
*hairutahaurnasurjo. Aþþan aufto daug gamaurgid wisan andizuh
hairutasurjon aiþþau haurnasurjon. Namo hairutahaurn þugkeiþ af
alþja-aggiliskamma uhtja wisan; was auk faura at imma uftost bigitan
þatei haitano "salammaunjak". Mitodaþþan þatei ni weseina hijos
bokos fullos nibai usbigeti skeirein waurdis "paipr": *tugga-stikils
(ga.) aiþ. aufto *kusti-stuggeis (gi.mr.). Jah ei laibam  galeikai:
*pipair (nhva.)

I'm sure some of  you are familiar with the Hafronska project. For those
who aren't, you can search their wordlist here:
http://www.hafronska.org/pages/loadlists.php?cat=32
The project is attempting to "purify" already greatly purified
Icelandic. Drawing inspiration from some of their neologisms, I offer
*woþjo (fn.) "sugar" < Go. woþeis 'sweet', based on the Hafronsk
rendering of sæta < Ic. sætur. For others there is of course
*sukkair (na.) Also, after following an interesting etymology of
"ammonia" and "amino", I render "amino acid" thus:
*hairuta-haurna-surjo. But maybe this should be shortened to either
*hairuta-surjo or *haurna-surjo. Hart's horn was from an OE term
apparently, and a chief source once of sal ammoniac. Also, I thought
this post wouldn't be complete unless I had made a word for pepper:
*tugga-stikils (ma.) or perhaps *kusti-stuggeis (mi.pl.). And to please
the rest: *pipair (na.)