New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Mon Apr 30 00:03:04 UTC 2007

-
Hi again,

I must make still a remark.

November is in our old calendar  slaughtermonth -slaktmånad and
december is I think Göje. We must however count the former Yule a
little earlier since the present calender answers  for Yule to the 13
December in the Iulian calender. The winter sacrifice, start pof
winter, occured also according to the present calender around the 4th
of november full moon, which is in the middle of november in the
Iulian one.The mid-winter sacrifice varied between 21 january to
beginning march depending on the full moon in a 8-year cycle. To
complicate it we probably had a cultic year of 13 months ruled by the
moon and a 12 months year ruled by the sun. Now the 13th of December
we celebrate Lusse (Christian variant- Lucia) and have hoisting demons
asking for furnishing exactly  like the former  julfolk (shamanistic
cultic leagues). I think also the carol singing  begging for money in
AS countries is a remnant of this. Accordingly when stating time for
Yule we have to, i presume, use the sun calendar but for sacrifices
the moon calendar. It can be a little tricky.

Best
Ingemar