Gepidae

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sun Aug 19 16:25:03 UTC 2007

Hi Frederick,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Frederick Louis Scoggins
<scoggins3375 at ...> wrote:

> Once again the historian Jordanes was incorrect in identifying the
> Gepidae as German. Please stop using his flawed historical assumptions.
> They (the Gepidae) were never of that stock but alleged to have been a
> remnant of the Sumerians. They (Gepidae) were destroyed by Trajan in
the
> 2d Century A.D. What remained of the ancient Dacians, the Gepidae were
> absorbed by the later Huns, Magyars and other Slavs.

It is not only Jordanes as says so - also archaeology. See the
examinations of prof. Jerzy Okulicz at the archaeological institute of
the university of Warszawa. Specially his diggings at Elblag/Elbing
showing the beginning of the Gepidae in the Vistula delta.

The ancient Dacians were instead the Getae.

Here is a good
> scientific research project, examine the Gepidae DNA/RNA with present
> day Dacians, Bulgars and Romanians. Match with the DNA of Sumerians and
> see what the human genome says.

If you find Gepidic and Gothic and other types of DNA in Romania and
Bulgaria it is quite natural as well as also Dacian, i.e. Getae, and
Roman (could be a great lot of different origin) et c. Also Taifalic
of course wether they were Germanic speaking  ( as Heather suggests)
or not (according to Wolfram).

Sumerians is outside my ability to comment but it sure would be
interesting to compare just for the sake of curiosity.

Best
Ingemar