identification of Flutausis as Cogaeanus

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 19 19:54:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea at ...> wrote:

[...]
> the official name is
> Neamtz(usually denoting a german; the word is actually formed
> starting from the root "neam"=stock), as an euphemism for foreigner,

The word is borrowed from Slavic (OCSl. nEmici) where it universally
denotes German (from OCSl. nEm-u "dumb", "mute", originally "a dumb
person" > "a non-Slavic speaker").

> I am glad to learn that the toponimic transcripted by Jordannes was
> in fact genuine Romanian (i.e. Wallachian), as with Galtis on Alutha.

When Jordanes was writing Getica the Romanian language did not exist
yet.

Ualarauans