identification of Flutausis as Cogaeanus

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 19 19:34:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Frederick Louis Scoggins
<scoggins3375 at ...> wrote:

> Once again the historian Jordanes was incorrect in identifying the
> Gepidae as German.

Gepidae were not German, but (East) Germanic. Jordanes was correct
in identifying them as the closest kinsmen of the Goths.

> Please stop using his flawed historical assumptions.
> They (the Gepidae) were never of that stock but alleged to have
been a
> remnant of the Sumerians.

Perhaps you would like to come up with some evidence in favor of
this phantastic assumption?

> They (Gepidae) were destroyed by Trajan in the
> 2d Century A.D. What remained of the ancient Dacians, the Gepidae
were
> absorbed by the later Huns, Magyars and other Slavs.

The Huns and the Magyars (Hungarians) are not Slavs if you
understand the term as it ought to be understood properly, i.e. as a
name covering peoples of different ethnic origin speaking IE derived
Slavic languages. The language of the present day Hungarians is
Finno-Ugric, brought into Central Europe by the Magyar tribes in the
9-10th ct. CE. After their settling down in what is now Hungary
("Honfoglalas") they assimilated some Slavic and probably also
Germanic speaking groups which had preceded them in that territory.
Which doesn't make them Slavic nor Germanic, of course. What
concerns the Huns, we still don't know exactly what language
the "true Huns" did speak. In fact, the Huns were a collective name
for all members of the Hunnish tribal union, be they Germanic
(Ostrogoths, Gepidae, Heruls, Sciri), Iranian (Alans, Sarmatians) or
of any other descent, including some proto-Slavs too, maybe. The
language of Attila's court at least seems to have been Gothic. But
little is certain here.

> Here is a good
> scientific research project, examine the Gepidae DNA/RNA with
present
> day Dacians, Bulgars and Romanians.

There are no present day Dacians. Not since 4-5th ctt. CE. They were
totally romanized soon after Trajan's conquest.

> Match with the DNA of Sumerians and
> see what the human genome says.

I wonder where you would get a sample of the DNA of the Sumerians
who became extinct several thousands of years ago. I read somewhere
that some researchers found distinctive genes in Kuwait and were
speculating that Kuwaitis are the genetic descendants of the
Sumerians. But this I think is also far from being granted.

> Frederick Louis Scoggins

Ualarauans