James 3:6

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 15 23:17:49 UTC 2007

Hails, Lama!

Thank you very much for your correction. I've got some further
doubts concerning this fragment and I'd appreciate to know what the
list-mates think.

KOSMOS = fairhvus "world", but isn't "ornament", "attire" another
meaning of the Greek word? In this context, couldn't the tongue be
called a "decoration of iniquity", i.e. a means to disguise it
(with lies)? We've got Go. fetjan KOSMEIN "to adorn", "to decorate";
hrains, gafaurs KOSMIOS "decent" attested. hO KOSMOS THS ADIKIAS =
feteins inwindiþos?

KAQISTATAI = gasatida ist. Or, maybe, gasatjada?

hH SPILOUSA = anawammjandei. Doesn't it need the article here:
so anawammjandei? And what about no article before the first
appearance of tuggo in the sentence and putting it before the second
one – is it correct here?

FLOGIZEIN = intandjan (attested for KATAKAIEIN). Another variant
was, of course, inbrannjan (KAIEIN). We've got lauhmuni for FLOX
(gen. FLOGOS). How about *lauhmunjan for FLOGIZEIN (formally like
glitmunjan)? And, FLOGIZOMENH hUPO THS GEENNHS – couldn't it be also
intandjada fram gaiainnin? BTW, am I right putting dat. sg.
of gaiainna* after weak masculina (gaiainnin*)? Maybe, the only
attested acc. sg. gaiainnan is but a copy of Greek acc. sg. fem.
1st decl. GEENNAN?

Finally, TROCOS = runs (attested for DROMOS). And we know rinnan for
TRECEIN. Here there's a problem. In my grandparents' library I
recently found an old book titled "Grammatik des neutestamentlichen
Sprachidioms", bearb. von Dr. G. B. Winer, Leipzig, 1867, where on
p. 53 I read: "Begründet ... ist der Unterschied zwischen TROCOS
(oxytonon) "Rad", wie Jac. 3, 6. der Text und die accentuirten Codd.
haben, und TROCOS (paroxytonon) "Lauf", wie nach ... u. A. gelesen
werden soll... Das Bild TROCOS (oxytonon) GENESEWS ist
(mit FLOGIZOUSA verbunden) weder incorrect noch bei Jacobus
besonders auffällig, eine Aenderung der Schreibart mithin unnötig".
I have no idea in how much outdated this is now, but if it was
really "a wheel of birth", what could Gothic "wheel" be like?

Ualarauans

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Hails, Walhahrabn!
>
> Looks convincing.  Just one thing comes to mind: I would suggest
> 'fram' rather than 'af' to translate hUPO here.  This seems to be
the
> normal preposition used where Gothic needs to express the agent in
> passive construction (unlike Old Norse, where it would be 'af').  I
> can't think of any examples where 'af' is used in this way in the
> Gothic corpus.
>
> http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/HTML/B037.html
> http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/HTML/B001.html
>
> LN
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...>
wrote:

> > Hails!
> >
> > (James 3:6):
> >
> > "And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue
> > among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth
on
> > fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell".
> >
> > KAI hH GLWSSA PUR hO KOSMOS THS ADIKIAS hH GLWSSA KAQISTATAI EN
TOIS