Fwd: Eine Kleine Gotenmusik + Revelation

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Feb 19 18:31:33 UTC 2007

First, congratulations Arthur on your latest compositions!  Waila
waurhteis!  Some powerful and poignant poetry there.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> I suppose the Gothic thread-name would be "Ains leitils *Gutsaggws"
>
> or "Ains smals Gutisks saggws"
>
> or a combination thereof?

Or maybe 'leitil Gutane saggwis' (compare I Cor 5:6, I Tim 5:23), with
a partitive genitive.  Like the other early Germanic languages, Gothic
mostly does without an indefinite article in the singular...

leitil beistis
"a little yeast"

weinis leitil brukjais
"use a little wine"

jah was jainar manna gaþaursana habands handu.
"and there was yonder a man having a withered hand"

unte manna hardus is
"for thou art a hard man"

> GBRP / Naihaimias & James 3:6 [was just] Re: James 3:6
>
> Hails!
>
> Are there any good reasons to believe that a Gothic version of the
Revelation once existed?

> Ualarauans

I'm not aware of any specific evidence one way or the other about
Revelation.  There are hints in the Vienna-Salzburg Codex that a
translation of Genesis existed, and there are a couple of clues to
suggest that there was a Gothic psalter.  John Chrysostomus mentions
in a homily that psalms were sung in Constantinople in Greek, Syrian,
Latin and Barbarian language; according to Elfriede Stutz, "es ist
kaum zu bezweifeln, dass mit THi BARBARWN FWNHi die got. Sprache
gemeint ist" (Gotische Literaturdenkmäler 1966, p. 30).  Then there is
the case of the two Goths who wrote to Jerome for his advice regarding
translating the psalms, although Stutz comments that it isn't clear
whether they had in mind translation into Gothic specifically.

LN