Fwd: Eine Kleine Gotenmusik

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 20 01:06:52 UTC 2007

Good points, Thiudans.  Thinks: "One small Gothic song for a man, one
giant Gothic leap for mankind."  Regarding the word order, there would
probably be some freedom.  There are a few instances of numbers placed
before the noun they modify in the Bible, where the two words
correspond to a single word of Greek.  But then there is the rule that
 numerals 4-19 are declined for dative and genitive only when they
occur after the noun, which suggests the both orders were possible in
theory in native Gothic.  Perhaps, on that basis, we can guess that
the order numeral first was least emphatic.  Other strong adjective
and genitive modifiers tend to follow the noun they modify in those
very few instances in the Bible where Greek influence on word order
can be discounted (but weak adjectives tend to come first).  The
Skeireins shows more freedom in this respect, but with a tendency to
place partitive genitives after.  In the Bible, in those (independent)
instances where the genitive is placed before the noun or adjective it
modifies, the two words can be seen as being in a closer relationship
that otherwise, i.e. having the nature of a compound, compare: witodis
laus : witoda-laus (I Cor 9:21), both = ANOMOS "without law."
According to Zoega's Old Icelandic Dictionary, "if put after the noun,
[Old Icelandic] 'einn' generally denotes 'only', 'but'".  I don't know
if there's any evidence one way or the other as to whether Gothic had
such a tendency too.  So, apologies to Michael for my misguided
criticism!  That leaves us with possibilities such as:

(ains)
........gutane (cf. Pietroassa inscription)
........gut-   (cf. Calendar)

LN