Two recent books on the Goths

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Tue Jan 9 21:50:34 UTC 2007

Hi all,

over the Christmas holidays I had the chance to read two quite recent
books on the Goths, which I think are 'must-reads' for anybody
interested in the history of the Goths. One is "Rome's Gothic Wars -
>From the Third Century to Alaric", by Michael Kulikowski, Cambridge
University Press, 2007. I suppose chapter 3, entitled 'The Search for
Gothic Origins' will be of special interest to many on this list.

The author dismisses Jordanes Getica as a genuine source of Gothic
early history, stating for example (p. 43) "And yet Jordanes, as we
shall see, is not merely unreliable, he is deeply misleading".
Kulikowski demonstrates convincingly how Jordanes' story underpinned
and still underpins much of the scholarly research of the Goths till
today - both historical and even more perplexingly archaeological. In
this vain he shows just how misguided authors such as Anders Kaliff
are in their treatment of the subject.

Kulikowski writes on page 55-56 "Rather than migrants from the
distant north, it is more likely that the Goths who entered imperial
history in the earlier third century were a product of circumstances
of the imperial frontier. ... These were the social forces that
created the coalitions of the Franks and Alamanni along the Rhine and
the upper Danube in the third century, and we have suggested that the
Goths on the lower Danube shoulde be understood in the same way."

Kulikowski argues that the Wielbark-Chernyakhov connection is largely
based, consciously or unconsciously on the Jordanes narrative. The
cultural influences on the Chernyakhov culture are so plentiful and
balanced that without Jordanes scholars would not have dreamt of
privileging the Wielbark connection. Kulikowski writes "The answer,
at least in my view, is that there is no Gothic history before the
third century. The Goths are a product of the Roman frontier, just
like the Franks and the Alamanni who apear at the same time."

I know, this book will not meet with the approval from some on this
list, however, I think it very well worth reading. It shows a novel
and refreshingly plausible picture of late antiquity and migration
age history and in terms of its conceptualisations shoould also be
revealing to those who have special interest in fringe goups such as
the Heruls.

The second book, which I finally managed to read is Patrick Amory's
much celebrated book "People and identity in Ostrogothic Italy, 489-
554". Cambridge University Press, 1997. Amory's books also includes a
chapter on the origin of the Goths, which is entitled 'The origin of
the Goths and Balkan military culture'. This chapter can be seen as
antecedent to the one by Kulikowski. Both authors show what we call
Goths and what the Romans called Goths in a new light. Amory
demostrates, not least with an extensive prosopography the amorphous
ethnic situation along the Roman Balkan frontier, were the name Goths
could easily pass from one group to the next with the actural members
of such groups often not even being aware that the Romans had labled
them in that way.

Boths books are of course in English and therefore accessible to
everybody on this list. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did.

Cheers,