Two recent books on the Goths

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Wed Jan 10 00:06:15 UTC 2007

Hi Dear Dirk,

I did indeed, in opposite to you, appreciate Tore's initiative. It is
a good and convincing article and it is not alone. There are several
good contributions in the same booklet originating in a cooperation
project between Swedish and Bulgarian researchers. Besides Anders
Kaliff Lars Munkhammar and Ulf Erik Hagberg have articles there and a
 fair amounts of Bulgarians, some of which being associated to the
Wulfila foundation in Sofia. It is an interdisciplinary book treating
both history, archaeology and linguistics. The title is 'Goterna' in
Swedish and in Bulgarian. It means 'The Goths'. The articles are in
English or Bulgarian with English, or in one case I think German,
summaries. it is published by Balkan Media, Sofia 2006. Tore and I met
those people in Uppsala at a symposium and had valuable interchange
with them. This project is intended to be expanded with contributions
from several researchers from both countries and possibly including
also other nationalities.

I see you have started shooting wildly with these new books. Well, you
mostly break already open doors since nobody claims the Goths didn't
undergo some changes according to external influences, and nor that
new peoples were accepted as Goths in the course of the Gothic wars.
This however has nothing at all to do with the Gothic origin, which is
what among else Kaliff treats. If You and your compatriots try to
eliminate the Wielbark culture totally from the Gothic history you
will undertake an impossible task. Harry's estimation in Germanic list
of the reception of this idea seems well built under.
I however have no doubt the books might be quite good in the claimed
subject, i.e. the Gothic Wars in close contact with the Romans, but
this has, as mentioned, nothing with the original origin-question to
do, but only with later local ethogenesi.

Best regards
Ingemar