Toledo

OSCAR HERRERA duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Jul 1 14:36:32 UTC 2007

????????????

faltin2001 <d.faltin at hispeed.ch> wrote:          --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Abdoer-Ragmaan Lombard"
<manielombard at ...> wrote:

> Perhaps I've used an unsuitable font, so here a repost:
>
> Could Tulaytula, the Arabic form of Toledo, have
> been derived from *Tôlêtula", a Gothic hypocorism of *Tôlêtô < Latin
> Tôlêtum? Perhaps *Taúlêtô should be regarded as the Gothic etymon
> (long unstressed "ô" having merged in Vulgar Latin with short /o/,
and
> seeing that Arabic uses a short "u" preceded by an emphatic t, in
> order to reproduce an "o"; long "ê" is given as "ay" [= "ê" in spoken
> Arabic]), which would give *Taúlêtula.

Hi,

I don't think so, because the Goths in Spain didn't speak Gothic, but
Latin or some vulgar Latin with a few Germanic/Gothic remnants. The
Tabula gentes of about 550AD suggests so, and there is no hint that
they had any difficulties communicating with the local population in
Romanic without interpretors.There is also no indication that written
Gothic was used in Gaul or Spain. After all, the Goths in Gaul and
Spain were a Roman federate army, which also included many Roman
provincials and Latin was no doubt the lingua franca of the various
western Gothic groups since the 5th century.

Cheers,