Toledo

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Mon Jul 2 13:44:09 UTC 2007

Hi Oscar,

are the many question marks an expression of disbelief or a sign that
you are unclear about the content of my comment?

Just to clarify, there is really no doubt today that the Visigoths
who settled in Spain after 507 didn't speak Gothic, but Latin or
better a Latin military pidgin that included Germanic terms. The fact
that all royal documents issued by Visigothic kings are in Latin
shouldn't surprise. The same is true for Italy. Yet, even in private
and Arian church documents there is no use and not even a reference
to an other language, let alone Gothic. In Italy at least some
private and clerical documents use Gothic, albeit in a static, archic
and formulaic way that shows that the language was more or less dead
already in daily use.

Also, like in Italy, Visigothic kings never seem to have need for
interpreters. They can speak freely communicated with the natives,
which would at least require them to have been bilingual. Finally,
the Frankish Tabula Gentes of 550 AD suggests directly that the
Visigoths of Spain were Latin-speakers.

I suppose the federate army under Wallia who entered Spain in the
early 5th century would have been mostly Gothic/Germanic speaking.
Yet, in the subsequent 3 or 4 generations in Gaul Gothic was no doubt
abandoned in favour of Latin. When the Gothic kingdom was destroyed
by the Franks in 507, the remaining refugees who fled to Spain would
have ben Latin/Romanic speakers. And again, the documentary evidence
of the subsequent decades allows for no other conclusion.

Cheers,
Dirk

l at yahoogroups.com, "Abdoer-Ragmaan Lombard"
> <manielombard@> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps I've used an unsuitable font, so here a repost:
> >
> > Could Tulaytula, the Arabic form of Toledo, have
> > been derived from *Tôlêtula", a Gothic hypocorism of *Tôlêtô <
Latin