Toledo

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Wed Jul 4 18:17:25 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at ...> wrote:

> i can only say with dispute in the case with faltin ......

Hi Oscar,

you have permission to call me Dirk or Mr Faltin or Dr Faltin ... but
just faltin is a bit rude. I also don't address you as herrera.

think about all the gothic chieftains thru the centuries in being
their names as germanic-gothic......it sounds odd that  all these
gothic kings thru time have gothic names but their speaking another
language.......oscar

Not at all. Names and naming is highly conservative. French kings
used Germanic names for many centuries without speaking and
Germanic/Frankish language.

Believe me Oscar, it is a well established fact that the Visigoths in
Spain did not speak Gothic. Also, the Visigoths in Spain never speak
of chieftains, they had reges, duces and comes ( Latin words).

Cheers,
Dirk

> Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:          We might compare, as
best we can, reconstructed linguistic frontiers
> from c. 300 with those from c. 800. The West Germanic languages did
> expand, Anglo-Frisian largely replacing Latin and Welsh in the
> British Lowlands, and Dutch-German expanding into the Low
Countries,
> Rhineland, Switzerland, and the upper Danube to the Alps. The East
> Germanic languages seem to disappear outside the Crimea and
possibly
> other enclaves as the Slavic languages spread... Arabic also
spreads.

> Gothic never had the religious importance of Latin or Arabic. If it
> was not the majority language in Gutþiuda, it was the most
important
> (and the various histories nowhere suggest local language/trade
> language/prestige language divisions), was adopted for that reason,
> and was supplemented by Greek and Latin for the same reason as
early
> as Wulfila's own exile.
>
> The size and demographics of the exile groups remain largely
unknown.
> Refugee populations tend to have slightly higher proportions of
women
> and children than most populations, and the same may have applied
> the refugees of 376. I think there were multiple mass migrations
into
> the Balkans, starting with 376, and smaller migrations, starting in
> 348, which could have changed the linguistic landscape in the
Balkans
> just as other migrations changed the linguistic landscape in
England.