Toledo

Tore Gannholm tore at GANNHOLM.ORG
Thu Jul 5 10:39:08 UTC 2007

Hi,
Another view is presented by Peter Brown in "The World of late
antiquity AD 150-750"

Dirk will probably not like it as it does not fit his picure.

Tore

The ideology of the late fourth-century popes, and the cult of St
Peter in western Europe, owe much to conscious rivalry with pagan
exponents of the myth of Rome. Symmachus, paradoxically, was an
unwitting architect of the medieval papacy.

But even the most enthusiastic Christian patriot had to admit that
the cult of the Rome of St Peter was, in part, an attempt to lay a
ghost. The last pagans of Rome reminded Christians, at the very last
moment, of the unregenerate, pagan past of the empire. They charged
the myth of Roma aeterna with sinister associations. Throughout the
Middle Ages, just beneath the surface of the Holy City of St Peter,
there always lurked, as an indelible stain on the Christian
imagination, the idea that Rome had been 'the Devil's City'. In
Constantinople, the Roman empire was accepted without question as a
Christian empire. All that the bishops of the medieval West could do,
by contrast, was to conjure up the pale clerical shade of a 'holy'
Roman empire.

The society of the western provinces of the Roman empire was
fragmented. In the late fourth century, boundaries had hardened, and
a heightened sense of identity had led to harsher intolerance of the
outsider. Senators who had participated in an impressive revival of
high standards of Latin literature were little inclined to tolerate a
'barbarian'. Bishops who could boast Ambrose, Jerome and Augustine as
colleagues were in no mood, either, to tolerate those outside their
Catholic Church. As a result, the barbarian tribes entered a society
that was not strong enough to hold them at bay, but not flexible
enough to 'lead their conquerors captive' by absorbing them into
Roman life.

This is the significance of the so-called 'barbarian invasions' of
the early fifth century. These invasions were not perpetual,
destructive raids; still less were they organized campaigns of
conquest. Rather. they were a 'gold rush' of immigrants from the
underdeveloped countries of the north into the rich lands of the
Mediterranean.

The barbarians were vulnerable. Their numbers and military capacity
might win the battles: but they were in no position to win the peace.
The Visigoths crossed the frontier at the Danube in 376 and turned
their attention to Italy in 402, under their king Alaric. The Vandals
entered Gaul and Spain in 406-09. The Burgundians settled down in the
Middle Rhône Valley after 430. These successes were impressive and
totally unexpected. Yet the conquering tribes were divided against
each other and within themselves. Each had produced a warrior-
aristocracy, far removed from the tastes and ambitions of their own
rank and file. These warrior-aristocracies were quite prepared to
leave their 'underdeveloped' fellow tribesmen behind, and to become
absorbed into the prestige and luxury of Roman society. Theodoric,
king of the Ostrogoths (493-526), was later in the habit of saying:
'An able Goth wants to be like a Roman; only a poor Roman would want
to be like a Goth.'

In those areas of the Balkans controlled by the court of
Constantinople, the lessons which the Roman military experts had
learnt in the fourth century were applied successfully. A judicious
combination of force, adaptability and hard cash neutralized the
effects of the Visigothic immigration. The Visigothic warrior-
aristocracy was 'integrated' by being offered posts in the High
Command, or set to tasks that served the purposes of east Roman
diplomacy. When Alaric was deflected from the Balkans to the West,
however, he faced a society with neither strength nor skill. The
senators had failed to pay their taxes or to provide recruits for the
Roman army; yet, when they were asked, in 408, to pay for a diplomacy
based on subsidies to Alaric, that might have covered their military
weakness, the Senate rejected the proposal as smacking of
'appeasement' of the despised barbarian: 'This is a slave's contract,
not a subsidy.' Noble words: but two years later these patriots would
have to pay three times as much as they had been asked to contribute,
in order to ransom their own city from the Visigothic king. A
strident chauvinism and a refusal to negotiate with the barbarians
led to the Sack of Rome by Alaric in 410. It was not an auspicious
beginning to the coming century of Roman-barbarian relations.

So much for the Roman senators. As for the Catholic Church, its
bishops were the spokesmen of the prejudices of the average
Mediterranean townsman. Townsmen dreaded the barbarians: but they
also knew and disliked soldiers. Their Christianity was not so much
pacifist, as resolutely civilian. Sulpicius Severus went to great
lengths to disguise the fact that his hero, St Martin of Tours, had
ever been a Roman officer: only in the far more military society of
the Middle Ages did artists gladly portray him as a knight. There was
no room for the soldier-saint in the fourth-century Latin
congregations, and, one may suspect, they cherished little enthusiasm
for the Roman army. As for the barbarian, he was the successor of the
Roman soldier: he  was branded as a man of war, tainted with
'ferocity of soul', in the midst of the peace-loving 'Sheep of the
Lord'. He was also a heretic, for the Danubian tribes had adopted the
strong Arian Christianity of that region.

The barbarian settlers in the West found themselves both powerful and
unabsorbable. They were encapsulated by a wall of dumb hatred. They
could not have been 'detribalized' even if they had wanted to be,
because as 'barbarians' and heretics they were marked men. The
intolerance that greeted the barbarian immigration, therefore, led
directly to the formation of the barbarian kingdoms. To be tacitly
disliked by 98 per cent of one's fellow men is no mean stimulus to
preserving one's identity as a ruling class. The Vandals in Africa
from 428 to 533, the Ostrogoths in Italy from 496 to 554, the
Visigoths in
Toulouse from 418 and later in Spain, up to their conversion to
Catholicism in 589, ruled effectively as heretical kingdoms precisely
because they were well hated. They had to remain a tight-knit warrior
caste, held at arm's length by their subjects. Not surprisingly, the
word for 'executioner' is the only direct legacy of two and a half
centuries of Visigothic rule to the language of Spain.

The Franks were the exception that proved the rule. They were
latecomers: Frankish war-bands rose to prominence only in the late
fifth century, long after the establishment of the other Germanic
tribes. They did not come as conquerors: they had infiltrated in
small numbers, as mercenaries. Above all, they kept clear of the
highly articulate populations round the Mediterranean. Northern Gaul
remained the centre of gravity of the Frankish state. Southern
bishops and senators found it easier to accept such comparatively
insignificant strangers. As a result, the Franks felt free to become
Catholics. At the
Merovingian court of the sixth century, Roman and Frank butchered and
married each other without discrimination; and Gallo-Roman bishops,
well aware of the continued existence of strong Arian states to their
south (the Visigoths in Spain held Narbonne, and the Ostrogoths of
Italy expanded into Provence), hailed the unsavoury warlord of the
Franks, Clovis (481-511), as 'a new Constantine'. The very success of
the distant Franks, indeed, is an indication of how little tolerance
the Roman population of the Mediterranean were prepared to extend to
the barbarian states on their own doorstep.

This state of affairs is usually treated as inevitable by historians
of western Europe in the fifth and sixth centuries. But it is not the
only way in which a great empire can treat its barbarian conquerors.
Northern China, for instance, was more thoroughly occupied by the
barbarians of Mongolia than ever the western provinces of the Roman
empire were by the Germanic tribes. Yet in China the barbarians 'went
native' within a few generations, and continued the Chinese imperial
tradition without a break, from dynasty to dynasty. The Visigothic,
the Ostrogothic and the Vandal kingdoms of western Europe were never
absorbed in this way: they survived as foreign bodies, perched
insecurely on top of populations who ignored them and set about the
more congenial business of looking after themselves.

The barbarian invasions did not destroy west Roman society, but they
drastically altered the scale of life in the western provinces. The
imperial government, now settled in Ravenna, lost so much land and
taxes that it remained bankrupt up to the time of its extinction in
476. The senators lost the income of their scattered estates. They
were able to make good some of their losses by rack-renting and
chicanery in the areas where their power was strongest. The great
landowners of Italy and Gaul, whose power rested so heavily on the
peasantry, were a threatened rump of the affluent absentee-landlords
of the previous century. Communications suffered. In the late fourth
century, senatorial ladies from northern Spain travelled freely all over
the eastern empire; in the fifth century, a bishop writing in Asturia
hardly knew what happened outside his own province. In western
Europe, the fifth century was a time of narrowing horizons, of the
strengthening of local roots, and the consolidating of old loyalties.

Immediately after the Sack of Rome the Catholic Church asserted its
unity: schism was forcibly suppressed in Africa after 411; in 417 the
Pelagian heresy was chased out of Rome. Men felt they could no longer
afford the vigorous religious strife of a more secure age. The last
pagans, therefore, rallied to the Church. Their culture and
patriotism now contributed to hardening the boundaries of
Catholicism: in the mosaics placed in S. Maria Maggiore in 431, for
instance, the Temple in the background of the scene of Christ's
Presentation at the Temple is the old Templum Urbis. Leo I (440-61),
the first pope to
come from the old-fashioned countryside of Rome, praised Rome as the
see of St Peter in language that echoes exactly the punctilious
devotion of Symmachus to the Capitoline gods. In a world increasingly
conscious of the presence of the non-Roman, Catholicism had become
the single 'Roman' religion.

With this new religious solidarity went a strengthening of localties.
This can be seen most clearly in Gaul. The provincial aristocracy of
Gaul had always been both loyal to its homeland and successful as
suitors at court. The tradition begun at Trier in the fourth century
merely continued with gusto in the more outlandish barbarian courts
of the fifth. Sidonius Apollinaris (c. 431-89) included among his
skills the gentle art of gaining a petition by tactfully losing at
back-gammon whenever he played against the Visigothic king Theodoric
at Toulouse.

The newly established barbarian kingdoms provided ample scope for the
gifts of the courtier. Despite their prejudices, the local senators
quickly realized that to have a strong man with an effective military
force on one's doorstep has its advantages. The Romans exploited the
divisive effects of new wealth among the barbarian nobility. They
tended to back the kings against their unruly followers by
encouraging them to establish strong dynasties on the imperial model.
A typical example of the survival of the scholar-bureaucrat at a
barbarian court is Cassiodorus (c. 490-c. 583), who was a minister of
Theodoric the Ostrogoth and his successors in Italy. Cassiodorus
framed the royal edicts in traditional style; he skilfully presented
Theodoric and his
family as 'philosopher kings' (for he could hardly have called them
legitimate Roman rulers); and he even wrote a History of the Goths
that presented the tribe in general, and the family of Theodoric in
particular, as co-operative participants in the history of the
Mediterranean, from the time of Alexander the Great onwards.

More bluntly, the Romans came to recognize that the devil you know is
better than the devil you do not. In Aquitaine, the Visigothic
presence sheltered the villas of Sidonius and his friends from tribes
such as the Saxons who were known to have terrorized Britain. In 451,
it was the local senators who persuaded the Visigoths to join the
Roman army in halting the avalanche of Attila's Huns. It was the
presence of the barbarian garrisons in Gaul which ensured that, while
in Britain not a single Roman estate-name survived the Saxon
invasion, the villages of the Garonne and the Auvergne bear to this
day the names of the families that owned them in the fifth century.

The politics of Roman courtiers at the new barbarian courts were
local politics. The idea of a united western empire was increasingly
ignored by men who genuinely loved the smaller world of their
province. In the letters of Sidonius Apollinaris, we see the rooted
passions of the gentleman-farmer emerging behind the mask of the
senator's otium. In the letters of Symmachus, we see only a style of
life: in those of Sidonius, we move through a distinct landscape -
his beloved Clermont: 'Where pastures crown the hill-tops and vine-
yards clothe the slopes, where villas rise on the lowlands and
castles on the rocks, forests here and clearings there, headlands
washed by rivers . .