Toledo

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Wed Jul 11 12:57:41 UTC 2007

A lot would depend on the nature of the settlement;
if the Visigoths settled in communities and farmed themselves, the
language is more likely to have survived than if they were widely
scattered as 'lords of the manor' surrounded by romance speaking servants,
neighbors, etc.
The 'barbarian' groups that kept their language after entering the former
empire were largely those who were of the first sort (the Anglo-Saxons,
Slavs, Alemanni) while those of the second sort (Bulgars, Franks,
Burgundians, Normans) have long since disappeared and would seem to have
been absorbed quickly.