Toledo

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 12 12:48:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin at ...> wrote:

> [...]
> Gothic may indeed never have existed as such, but they may just
have
> been East Germanic, which we typically equate with Gothic. The
> Visigoths (I hope you know that Jordanes or Cassiodorus invented
this
> name, or is that new to you as well?), lost their Germanic language
> during the 5th century, after having lived among Romans for some 5
or
> more generations. The Ostrogoths may have stuck with Gothic a
little
> longer. Theoderic never referes to Gothic, but he uses the
term "our
> language". Yet, this "our language" had almost certainly very
little in
> common with the Gothic of the Wulfila bible. Instead, it was
probably a
> military pidgin with many Germanic, Latin and some Greek words.

et alibi

>> Just to clarify, there is really no doubt today that
>> the Visigoths who settled in Spain after 507 didn't speak Gothic,
but
>> Latin or
>> better a Latin military pidgin that included Germanic terms. The
fact
>> that all royal documents issued by Visigothic kings are in Latin
shouldn't
>> surprise. The same is true for Italy. Yet, even in private and
Arian
>> church documents there is no use and not even a reference to an
other
>> language, let alone Gothic. In Italy at least some private and
clerical
>> documents use Gothic, albeit in a static, archic and formulaic
way that
>> shows that the language was more or less dead already in daily
use.

There's the famous epigram from the Anthologia Latina representing
Gothic as spoken in Italy in the 6. ct.: eils... scapia matzia ia
drincan... This doesn't differ significantly from the language of
the Bible translation. Normalized after the Wulfilan orthography the
phrase would look: hails! skapjam matjan jah drigkan! ("Hail! Let's
eat and drink!" – as you see that's no archaic formula but a phrase
of a living language). This proves that the spoken Gothic language
of the time of Theoderic (his "lingua nostra") was still close
enough to that of the Bible, and not a mongrel jargon of Roman
mercenaries as it seems to be argued in the citations above.

Ualarauans