Spanish toponimes of germanic origin [Was: Toledo (Norman template)]

Rydwlf mitsuhippon at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 18 20:39:26 UTC 2007

Hi there,

  I have the feeling that the issue of Spanish toponimes of germanic origin has been debated some time in the past in this same list. I am sure about the germanic (specially gothic) origin of some settlements, mostly villages (that still retain the name). There is a high number of examples.

  I have done some research with Google but all the information I find is quite fragmentary. Anyway if you're interested I can try to give a list of webpages dealing with the issue (and mentioning quite a lot of examples), and some book references.

  Figure 15 in the following page can give a rough idea of the distribution of toponimes of germanic origin in Iberia. Unfortunately I cannot quote the sources, but the author probably does so in some page of his work (sorry but I'm short of time today).
  http://libro.uca.edu/stanislawski/portugal.htm

  Hope it helps,
  Ryd.

amicus at webtv.net wrote:
  <rather Gothic than Frankish or something else.>>

The name GUZMAN