Acts 26:9

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 23 08:26:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "gutdwala" <gutdwala at ...> wrote:

> It seems fine to me, but a little awkward. I understood the meaning
of
> the sentence though. But if nothing like that is attested, I would
> probably go with 'ei skuldedjau managa andaneiþona gataujan', it just
> seems a little more clear.

Syntactic calques from Greek seem indeed awkward sometimes. The
infinitive is used both in Septuaginta (DEIN) and Vulgate (debere).
I know there are cases where Greek infinitives are rendered with
ei + finite verb (subjunctive) though I can't recall examples right
now. But I fear that if using the paraphrase like that the connection
between the object (wiþra namo Iesuis þis Nazoraiaus) and the
predicate (managa andaneiþona gataujan) will be lost or at least
obscured. To change it into 'ei skuldedjau wiþra namo Iesuis þis
Nazoraiaus managa andaneiþona gataujan' would mean to digress too far
from the original. A nice excuse would be a couple of attested
examples where Wulfila acts this way.

> Does this mean that we're still working on filling in non-extant
> portions of the translation? It's a little out there, but I've got a
> few chapters of Enoch thrown together. I remember seeing some
> reconstructed bits on some sites a few years ago, maybe Matthew
> Carver's? Are those all in the files section or is that newer stuff?

Well, I just reconstruct separate verses which are needed for my
research. I haven't seen this particular fragment anywhere else,
but I haven't seen a lot of things after all. Generally, when doing an
orderly reconstruction I can't get rid of the feeling that someone
somewhere has already done this job. The Gothic Bible has been studied
so long and so thoroughly that all the gaps must have been filled in
many years ago. There are probably several full versions of the Bible
by different authors.

Ualarauans