Acts 26:9

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 25 17:24:11 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> > > Something else that I wonder about is whether 'wiþro' would be
> > used as
> > > a complement of 'andaneiþo'.  As far as I can see, all the
> > examples of
> > >   'andaneiþo' and 'andaneiþs' (II Cor 2:7, Col 2:14, I Thess
2:15)
> > > simply take a dative complement with no preposition.  That's
not to
> > > say that 'wiþro' is wrong here -- just something to think
about.

> > Doesn't wiþra belong rather to gataujan than to andaneiþo here?
> > Rather "to do [many contrary things] against the name of Jesus of
> > Nazareth"? Vulgate  - aduersus nomen ... [multa contraria] agere
and
> > LXX - PROS TO ONOMA ... [POLLA ENANTIA] PRAXAI.
>
> In English, at least, the following sentence would be
incomplete: "I
> thought that I should do many things { contrary, opposed } ..."  We
> would want to know "{ contrary, opposed } to what?"  If you put
> 'contrary' before the noun it modifies, then the sentence could be
> complete; it would mean that the things done were just contrary in
> general, arbitrarily awkward/difficult/provocative or calculated to
> make trouble.

That's what I think is the case here.

> Unfortunately we don't have much information about
> Gothic to go on, so we can't tell what would sound odd or
incomplete.
>   How about Greek and Latin?  Is 'adversus' necessary
with 'contraria',
> PROS with ENANTIA?

Not necessary, I think. At least neither has the preposition in
other fragments of the Bible (afaik). Same with Gothic andaneiþa.

> Here is an Icelandic translation for comparison:
> 'Sjálfur taldi ég mér skylt að vinna af öllu megni gegn nafni Jesú
frá
> Nasaret.'  Lit. "...to work with all my strength against..."  I'm
not
> sure if there are any Old English or Old High German versions of
this
> verse extant.

Cf. Modern German: ich meinte freilich bei mir selbst gegen den
Namen ... viel Feindseliges tun zu müssen.

Ualarauans