Use of Gothic language in Spain

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Tue Jul 24 12:57:47 UTC 2007

I couldn't really follow the debate about the use of Gothic in Spain.
Some members seem to believe that the Visigoths of the 6th and 7th
century spoke Gothic, whereas I had at the start of this discussion
expressed the opinion that Gothic had vanished already in the course
of the 5th century.

Here is what Roger Collins "Visigothic Spain 406-711", p. 242 has to
say about this question:

"What would have been a major barrier to integration, separate
languages, never seems to have existed in Spain. Had the Gothic
language survived in use, it is hard to see how a large-scale
absorption of the Hispano-Roman upper classes into a new sense of
identity could have occurred. However, there is no evidence for the
use of Gothic in Spain in the sixth and seventh centuries."

Cheers,