can someone correct my grammar

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sat Jun 9 01:02:36 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "brynhild84" <AaronCarpenter at ...> wrote:

> Can someone look at the grammar for this first part of a story that I
> have written in Gothic?
> Thanks.
> Sai farra, thiudan unsara farith finthith hozd, skalks is gibith aiths
> is hilpith thiudan is.

Sai ?????, thiudans unsar gaggith huzd bigitan; skalks is swarith,
thatei thiudanis seinis hilpith.

Lo ????, our king goes to find treasure; his servant swears that he
will help his king.

The idiom to "give an oath" is used at Mt 5:33 to mean "fulfill an
oath" (iþ usgibais fraujin aiþans þeinans), rather than swear an oath.
 The verb 'hilpan' takes a genitive object.  When the possessor is the
subject of the sentence, the reflexive possessive adjective 'sein-' is
used.

> Agar eis farand weis saiand akran jah itand milith, hlaits ja swein.

Afar thatei usiddjedun, weis saiam akrans jah milith itam jah hlaif
jah swein.

After they have gone, we sow the fields and eat honey and bread and pork.

> Afar 80 dagos barn meina saihwan thiudans skip jah qith: ¡°thiudan
> afraqimith!¡±

Afar ahtau tiguns dage barna meina saihwand thiudanis skip jah
qithand: "thiudans qimith aftra."

After 80 days, my children see the king's ship and say: "the king is
coming back."

Or: 'barn mein' "my child" ... 'saihwith' "sees" ... 'jah qithith'
"and says" ...

> Is sitith ana sitls jah gibith skalks is gulth.  Tho gulth skeinand
> leik maurginse liuhath.

Is sitith ana sitla jah skalka seinamma gibith gulth.  Thata gulth
skeinith swe liuhath { maurginis (of morning), uhtwons (of dawn),
urrunsis (sunrise, the east) }.

He sits on his throne and gives gold to his servant.  That gold shines
like the light of morning/dawn/sunrise.

> Akai mith thamma gulth qamith maurthr ja sair.

Akei mith thamma gultha qam maurthr jah sair.

But with the gold came murder and pain.

> Afar 7 dagos qam thata draka.  Liuhath is gibith unsa rigis.

Afar sibun dagans qam draka.  Liuhath is briggith riqis unsis.

After seven days, the/a dragon came.  Its light brings darkness to us.

(Probably no demonstrative/article at the first mention of the dragon.)

> Is
> brimmith baurg unsam ja maurthis barna unsam.

Is gabranneith baurg unsara jah barna unsara maurthreith.

It burns our town and murders our children.

(The strong verb 'brinnan' would be intransitive = "to burn" in the
sense of "to be on fire".)

> Thiudan unsara gaggith weihan thama draka.

Thiudans unsar gaggith weihan du thamma drakin.

Our king goes to fight the dragon.

(The idiom is attested at I Cor 15:32.)

> Is swarith: ¡°andizuh ik
> wil kill thama draka aiththau diwan.

Swarith: "Andizuh drakan { afslaha, gadauthja, usqima, usqistja,
fraqistja } aiththau { gaswilta, gadauthna }."

He swears: "Either I will kill the dragon, or I will die."

Alternatively, for "either ... or", you could have 'jabai ...
aiththau'.  If you chose 'usqima', 'usqistja' or 'fraqistja' for "I
will kill", you can optionally have a dative object: drakin; these
three verbs govern either dative or accusative with no difference in
meaning.

LN