Chernyakhov Settlements?

Alec Niculescu alec_niculescu at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 21 07:56:35 UTC 2007

A recent publication: Vornic V.
Asezaria si necropola de tip Santana de
Mures-Cernjiachov de la Budesti.
The Santana de Mures-Cernjachov-Type Settlement and
Necropolis from Budesti
Chisinau: Pontos , 2006. 472 p. Hard. ISBN
9789975722186.  In Romanian

A good bibliographic data base, probably the best for
the Cernjakhov culture is Dyabola, which contains the
references to the holdings of several libraries
affiliated to the German Archaeological Institute,
including articles. Choose the RGK library. The access
is made by subscription but you can ask for a password
which will be usable only for three days. You can find
there the literature (mostly in Russian, Ukrainian and
Romanian) you need for Cernjakhov settlements, most of
it published in journals to which The Library of
Congress and other American libraries have
subscriptions.

Alec

--- Michael Erwin <merwin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but the book doesn't seem to be available
> around here - I'm
> living in the US and the nearest decent collection's
> at the Library
> of Congress and doesn't include Petrescu's book. 6
> others by a Florin
> Petrescu, but nothing relating to C/SdM.
>
> The map doesn't help. I'm trying to find out about
> specific
> settlements and their sizes.
>
> On Mar 20, 2007, at 4:53 AM, Alec Niculescu wrote:
>
> > The map looks impressive indeed but, at least for
> > Romania, is wrong. The Cernjachov cemeteries and
> > settlements are to be found in the eastern part,
> > namely in Moldavia and Walachia, not in Oltenia,
> not
> > in Banat and not in the western and northern parts
> of
> > Transylvania.
> >
> > A repertoire with the Cernjachov finds in Romania:
> > Florin Petrescu, Repertoriul monumentelor de tip
> > Cerneahov-Sântana de Mures de pe teritoriul
> României.
> > Bucharest: Ars Docendi (2001). Here 158
> settlements
> > are listed but few have been excavated to a
> greater
> > extent (Iasi-Nicolina, Birlad-Valea Seaca etc.)
> >
> > Alec

> removed]

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html