translation of Gk. "cwrein"

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 24 00:26:36 UTC 2007

Hails,

Making my way through the gaps in John.

cwrousai below is a pres. act. part. in nom. fem. pl. meaning
"admitting of" or "allowing" i.e. being able to hold up to 2 or 3
metretes of water. Gamotan (gamotandeis) "be admitted etc." would fit
a passive meaning but I find no evidence of its use in the active or
some such construction as *gamotnandeis or *gamotan wisandeis. Would
Gothic prefer a periphrasis here perhaps using bairan or haban and magan?

John 2:6

ἦσαν δὲ ἐκεῖ λίθιναι ὑδρίαι ἓξ κατὰ τὸν καθαρισμὸν τῶν Ἰουδαίων
κείμεναι χωροῦσαι ἀνὰ μετρητὰς δύο ἢ τρεῖς

Now there were six stone waterpots set there for the Jewish custom of
purification, containing twenty or thirty gallons each. (NASB)

So far I have:

6. ItH wesun jainar staineine aurkiwe .q. bi tHana gahrainein Iudaie
gasatidai...

(Note: I use the partitive genitive for stain. aurk. but .q. is
understood as a nominative)