u-stem, wa-stem, adjectives

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 28 04:51:41 UTC 2007

Hm. Not sure. Maybe I would do this: salus salwa-, falus falwa-...

Orel has *salwaz and *falwaz in PGmc, but for shadow he has *skaduz,
*skadwaz. He has for skaus *skawaz, for few *fauhaz or *fahwaz; but
*manwuz is a (w)u-stem. There is gothic farwa- (ns. farus?)
appearance, appearing in Orel as *farhwo'. Of course, Gothic *badus
has only common Gmc. precursor *badwo'. Also there is

*aiws (Mu/i) "age" < Gmc. *aiwaz
*arus (adj. wa) "quick" < Gmc. *arwaz

Unfortunately we never see *taihswa in a strong masculine nominative?

I would lean not toward unetymology because I have the information I
cannot avoid, nor pretend error or "casuality".