u-stem, wa-stem, adjectives

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Wed Mar 28 18:34:19 UTC 2007

> *arus (adj. wa) "quick" < Gmc. *arwaz

Ah, yes.  Thanks for that one.  Any relation to *arwjo (Koebler: ohne
sichere Etymologie)?  I'm not sure what the semantics of that would be
though: more haste less speed...?  Koebler cites the personal names
Arosinda, Aragunti, Armirus.  Medial vowels in Migration Era Germanic
personal names recorded by Classical authors are notoriously variable.
 Alternatively, could these be from 'ara' "eagle"?  How well are these
attested as naming elements attested in the other Germanic languages,
I wonder.  Incidentally, does anyone know what the loanword (or
loanwords) is that Gamillscheg's *arþ- "Wohnsitz, Aufenthalt;
residence, domicile" is based on.  All the other Germanic dialects, as
far as I know, would be in keeping with PG *arduz, with -d-, but then
we have Go. bloþ, gen. bloþis, so I suppose it's not impossible that
Gothic was the odd one out here too.

> *aiws (Mu/i) "age" < Gmc. *aiwaz

It follows a mixed (w)a/i declension in Gothic, doesn't it?  dat. pl.
'aiwam', acc. pl. 'aiwins'.

> Hm. Not sure. Maybe I would do this: salus salwa-, falus falwa-...

Maybe...  That's another possibility I hadn't thought of.  Although
such a variation isn't actually attested in the sparse remains of
Gothic as written, and we have got masc. nom. sg. 'manwus', and no
examples of such a variation after a consonant.  But there seem to be
some conflicting views out there about, for example, 'manwus'.  Is it
from *manwaz [
http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/boer043sync01/boer043sync01_001.htm ], or
*manuz [ http://us.share.geocities.com/iliria1/etymology1.html ]?  The
alternation 'glaggwaba' : 'glaggwuba' suggests a sound change:
unstressed 'a' > 'u' after 'w'.

> Unfortunately we never see *taihswa in a strong masculine nominative?

At least we can tell that it hasn't been assimilated to the u-
(u-/ja-) declension, since there's no -j- intervening before the
ending.  But maybe it's use as exclusively a weak adjective would have
forestalled the assimilation to the u-stems that others of its
declension may have undergone.  Is a Gothic origin posited for Italian
'salavo'?

> I would lean not toward unetymology because I have the information I
> cannot avoid, nor pretend error or "casuality".

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here.  If you mean: when in
doubt, reconstruct etymologically 'correct' or regular forms, rather
than analogically altered forms, I'd tend to agree except where a
regular pattern of analogical alteration is attested in the language
(e.g. the treatment of neuter ez-stems as neuter a-stems: agis, sigis,
hatis).

LN

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> Hm. Not sure. Maybe I would do this: salus salwa-, falus falwa-...
>
> Orel has *salwaz and *falwaz in PGmc, but for shadow he has *skaduz,
> *skadwaz. He has for skaus *skawaz, for few *fauhaz or *fahwaz; but
> *manwuz is a (w)u-stem. There is gothic farwa- (ns. farus?)
> appearance, appearing in Orel as *farhwo'. Of course, Gothic *badus
> has only common Gmc. precursor *badwo'. Also there is
>
> *aiws (Mu/i) "age" < Gmc. *aiwaz
> *arus (adj. wa) "quick" < Gmc. *arwaz
>
> Unfortunately we never see *taihswa in a strong masculine nominative?
>

> I would lean not toward unetymology because I have the information I
> cannot avoid, nor pretend error or "casuality".
>

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@> wrote:
> >

> > I'm very tentatively leaning towards *salwus, *falwus...
> >

> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell@> wrote:
> > >

> > > Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to reconstruct
> > > hypothetical Gothic cognates for English 'sallow' and 'fallow'?
 Pure