u-stem, wa-stem, adjectives (thick, murk, etc.)

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Fri Mar 30 23:56:10 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Also, I'd be interested to hear any opinions on potential cognates of
> 'thick' and 'murk'.  --

  In the case of the latter, at least, this might be
> due to its being influenced by, or reintroduced by, the Norse cognate:
> 'myrkr', masc. ac. sg. 'myrkvan'.  Otherwise, the OED speculates that
> the palatisation in English might have been blocked by an intervening
---

> I'm wondering which seems better: Go. *mairqeis (as OE mierce, OS
> mirki), or Go. mairqus, given that little remains of the u-stems
> outside of Gothic, and that many of the Gothic u-stems exist as
> ja/jo-stems in OE?
>
> LN

Hi Llama non!

As you well know I am not at all a linguist, but still I dare prefer
'mairqus' since there is often a similarity with
Nortgermanic/Scandinavian in Gothic like e.g. the lack of definite
article and also many other likenesses. I know this is controversial
but still... Also Anglo-Saxon might be influenced by e.g. the Jutes
and OE  is still more influenced later by Scandinavian tounge.
Westgermanic anyhow should be the language group being most far away
from Gothic.

Best
Ingemar