u-stem, wa-stem, adjectives (thick, murk, etc.)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Mar 30 21:00:27 UTC 2007

Also, I'd be interested to hear any opinions on potential cognates of
'thick' and 'murk'.  I'm not at all knowledgeable about PIE, but both
have cognates outside of Germanic; are theer any clues there that
could help to decide the declension?  Old English has ja/jo-stems:
'þicce' and 'mierce', but their Modern English reflexes show no sign
of palatisation.  In the case of the latter, at least, this might be
due to its being influenced by, or reintroduced by, the Norse cognate:
'myrkr', masc. ac. sg. 'myrkvan'.  Otherwise, the OED speculates that
the palatisation in English might have been blocked by an intervening
-w-.  I suppose an alternative could be that palatisation failed, if
it was an old u-stem, and non-palatised forms were generalised from
those parts of the declension with no following 'i', 'j'.  Koebler
reconstructs Go. *þiqus, on the basis of It. 'attecchire', OFrench
'tehir', the Germanic word, *þek(k)uz?, being from < PIE *tegu-.  So
I'm wondering which seems better: Go. *mairqeis (as OE mierce, OS
mirki), or Go. mairqus, given that little remains of the u-stems
outside of Gothic, and that many of the Gothic u-stems exist as
ja/jo-stems in OE?

LN