New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 1 06:56:22 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Many thanks for this Arthur.  I read it ages ago, but had
completely
> forgotten that detail about the phantom status of *Naubaimbair!
>
> http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~david/index.html
> http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~david/report.pdf
>
> The relevant section is on p. 54.  Which leaves us with just 'fruma
> jiuleis' as the name of the month, and no way of knowing whether
the
> illegible word was a synonym (*Naubaimbair or otherwise) or
something
> else entirely.

But if Naubaimbair is a fancy, what's worth our reconstruction of
the Gothic month names based on Latin? If only fruma jiuleis is
attested, then one could logically suppose that all other Gothic
month names were also Germanic. Afaik there were several Calender
traditions in Germania, with their own month names. Which of them
are we to follow? E.g. OHG and OE give only one match which could
speak for Go. Austramenoþs "April".

Ualarauans

> Re. alternative names, I just came across the following Old West
Norse
> and Old Swedish proposals: Dróttins burðar tíð; gudz födzlo hötidh
[
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julfest ], neither of which caught on.
> So maybe we could have: 'fraujins mel gabaurþais', or similar.
Bit of
> a mouthful, I know...  Thinks: does the final vowel in
Finnish 'juhla'