Month Names [Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)]

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue May 1 19:54:09 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

>Also, I support latter Jiuleis having a separate marker and not a prefix
(despite Go. afardags, for which, however, there is no partner **fruma
dags). Perhaps Go. Anthar Jiuleis or Go. Aftuma Jiuleis. Alternately Go.
spediza / spedists Jiuleis.

I was thinking of the parallel with 'fruma sabbato' = PROSABBATON :
'þis dagis afarsabbate' = THi MIAi TWN SABBATWN.  The syntactical
alterations from the Greek could be significant, and 'afar' is
reminiscent of OE 'æfter(r)a géola'.  On the choice between
comparative and superlative (-iza : -ists), where there are only two
things being compared, Gothic "almost without exception" uses the
comparative, according to Streitberg, in contrast to NT Greek which
doesn't make this sharp distinction (Streitberg/Stopp 1981, 274a).

LN