Month Names [Re: New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)]

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 1 21:31:53 UTC 2007

>> Feb. OE supports Sauil-,

>All the sources I've seen cite 'sol' in OE Solmónaþ with a short
>vowel: OE sol, n. "mud, mire, wet sand, wallowing place",

Sorry for the accident. Of course it is the mire-month. I think Sauli-
might have been unconsciously influenced by sauljan (1).

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" thiudans@ wrote:
> >
> >Also, I support latter Jiuleis having a separate marker and not a
prefix
> (despite Go. afardags, for which, however, there is no partner **fruma
> dags). Perhaps Go. Anthar Jiuleis or Go. Aftuma Jiuleis. Alternately
Go.
> spediza / spedists Jiuleis.
>
> I was thinking of the parallel with 'fruma sabbato' = PROSABBATON :
> 'þis dagis afarsabbate' = THi MIAi TWN SABBATWN.  The syntactical
> alterations from the Greek could be significant, and 'afar' is
> reminiscent of OE 'æfter(r)a géola'.  On the choice between
> comparative and superlative (-iza : -ists), where there are only two
> things being compared, Gothic "almost without exception" uses the
> comparative, according to Streitberg, in contrast to NT Greek which
> doesn't make this sharp distinction (Streitberg/Stopp 1981, 274a).
>
> LN

Sabbato is a strange word, practically indeclinable, and afarsabbate
apparently means "post-Sabbath period" (Koebler).
It would be unfortunate to have an asymmetric pair given the symmetry
of North and West Germanic examples.
If we did not have Fruma Jiuleis I would suggest Jiuleis & Afarjiuleis.
Aftuma is effectually a comparative meaning "last (of two parties), &c."
but I don't see it used in temporal contexts as afar is. Afar itself is
probably
more parallel to an adverb lost in other Gmc. langauges, cf. Orel's
PGmc. *afare vs. *afte. The latter produced the comparative *aftare
and adjective *aft(e)raz, as well as the (originally) M-superlative
*aftumon, OE æftemest.

-Th.