New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed May 2 04:01:26 UTC 2007

I'm not familiar with the traditional northern European calendars.
Some quick questions (1) how do we know the Gothic months line up
with Roman months? (2) how do we know whether the Gothic traditional
calendar was solar or lunar? (3) how do we know whether the Gothic
ecclesiastical calendar was solar or lunar?

With solar calendars, the months could start slightly earlier or
later, e.g. the nearest January-equivalent starting Dec. 22nd. With
lunar calendars, the months would shift back and forth. The last
month would periodically double. The calendar fragment seems to line
up with November, but that would happen from time to time with lunar
calendars. The Easter calculations combine solar (equinox) and lunar
(1st sunday after 1st sabbath after 1st full moon after...) elements
so a lunar ecclesiastical calendar isn't impossible.