New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 2 04:07:12 UTC 2007

Given the number of variants and our good Gothic habit of fighting
around each controvercy who can now say how long it will take until
we'll come to even a rough basic agreement about month names? It can
appear that the post bellum treaty will stop on the Latin-derived
names suggested by Llama, independently on whether Naubaimbair is a
phantom or not. Whatever it be, we'll seemingly have several
Germanic variants for each month, and using parallel Latin names
could be a nice way to avoid misunderstandings, at least in the
beginning (?). I'm citing them below to better visualize them:

Januareis M.-ja
Faibruareis M.-ja
Martjus M.-u
Apreilis M.-i
Majus M.-u
Junjus M.-u
Juljus M.-u
Awgustus M.-u
Saiptaimbair M.-a
Auktobair M.-a
Naubaimbair M.-a
Daikaimbair M.-a

Example:

Sa spedista dags Austramenoþs (Apreilis) is sa dags faura þizai
Weihon Wal<þu>baurgsnaht. "The last day of the Eastermonth (April)
is the day before the sacred Walpurgisnight". (Walpurgis = Go.
Walbaurgs or Walþubaurgs (OHG Waldburg). And, maybe, -baurga F.-o in
personal names?).

Questions:

Is Apreilis expected to behave in a way like sutis, i.e. gen.
Apreilis, dat. Apreilja, acc. Apreil(i)?

Lat. September, gen. Septembris etc. Wouldn't the Gothic form have
been *Saiptaimbrs M.-a, gen. Saiptaimbris etc? Or still
Saiptaimbair, gen. Saiptaimbairis (like wair)? The same concerns the
three consequent months too, of course. The Late Greek form is
SEPTEMBRIOS. Since when is it attested? If it was early enough (ca.
2-4 ct. CE), it could yield Go. Saiptaimbreis M.-ja or Saiptaimbrjus
M.-u.

Awgustus seems to me more preferable than Agustus, for the reasons
Llama expressed in his article.

Finally, a stupid question: if we dismiss Naubaimbair, how do we
know that fruma jiuleis is in fact not December?

Ualarauans