A word idea

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 25 10:26:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?). I'm not sure
if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix. If it was,
then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and for "eye
white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a. What I would argue with a
little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.

Ualarauans

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at ...> wrote:

> how about adahveitam.....ada- egg and hveitam- whites
>
> Fredrik <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:          Hi!
>
> I wonder if anyone knows the origin of the ending in OE
geolca/geoloca
> (the origin of yolk)which is added to geolu = yellow.
> If so, does gothic have any equivalent or could it be
reconstructed?