A word idea

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri May 25 11:56:36 UTC 2007

I'm not sure about the etymology of the suffix either, but OE 'geolca'
is also attested as 'geoleca' and 'geoloca', the latter being the more
archaic form, with -o- probably the adjective stem *w > *u > *o.

> I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?).

Or *ai-hveitei or *addjis(a)-hveitei?  The first = the root as
inherited with no connecting vowel.  The second would be an analogical
formation, based on *addjis (thinking of Braune's observation that the
old es/os-stems were all reinterpreted in Gothic as neuter a-stems).
Maybe the best choice would be *addjis-hveitei, cf. sigis-laun.

LN