Gothic woman

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun May 27 18:12:27 UTC 2007

On May 27, 2007, at 5:42 AM, Abdoer-Ragmaan Lombard wrote:

Good suggestions, but one nitpick:

> German: "*Þiudisks" (det.: "*sa Þiudiska"), German
> woman: "*Þiudiska" (det.: "*so Þiudisko")

I don't think the Goths would use Þiudisks to describe any other
group. Most people name themselves "the folks" (and their neighbors
"the people who talk funny").

I think it more likely that one or another tribal name (probably that
of the Suebi, possibly  thatg of the Franks) would be extended to the
German-Dutch group in general. So either:

German man: sa *Swabiska, German woman: sa *Swabisko
and
> Frenchman: "*Fragka", French woman: "*Fragko"

Or
German man: *Fragka, German woman: *Fragko
and perhaps
Frenchman: *Galls, Frenchwoman: ???