Gothic woman

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 28 01:31:38 UTC 2007

I think you're right about *Sahsa:Sahso, *Guta:Guto, *Fragka:Fragko
being weak stems if we consider the evidence of other Old Germanic
languages. Still, the same evidence would speak for Finns, Swefs,
Aists being strong stems (either a- or i-). If I remember right,
Finnos and Swebos tend to be a-stems (like Walhos), while Aisteis –
an i-stem. But diffenet languages have different preferences here,
as LN used to point out. The feminine could be formed in the way you
suggested, namely with the suffix –ini F.-jo: (sing.) Finnini,
Swebini, Aistini respectively.

"Anglo-Saxon" can also be Agglisahsa, if Agg(i)ls is an i-stem, like
in OE.

I don't remember exactly if ON Bretar were weak or strong (I mean
the grammar). Go. Britans/Britos pl.? Especially if we consider
Middle Latin Britones...

Naurþramanna and Naurþraqino are a nice couple. Another option is to
form the ethnonym from the word Naurþ(r)awigs.

I'd strongly doubt that any new words, and loanwords in particular,
could have entered the archaic class of r-stems which had been kept
isolated since PIE. Much more probable seems the option that Afar(s)
and Uggar(s) would have become vocalic stems (a- or i-), and still
more likely that they would have been used without the /a/ in the
second syllable: Afrs and Uggrs respectively.

Germans could be described by choosing one of the continental West
Germanic ethnonyms, as Michael points out. Maybe Sahsans (like ON)?
Or maybe you would have to make a distinction every time depending
on where the given German comes from: (Niþra-)Sahsa:Sahso,
Reinafragka:-fragko, Mikilabaurgja:-baurgjo ;-)

For the neighbours of the Aisteis, maybe Lattiland, Latteis M.-i
pl., Lattisks adj. for Latvia (Latvians, Latvian resp.) and Leiþawi
F.-jo, Leiþaujans M.-an pl., Leiþaujisks adj. for Lithuania(n)?

I've got an idea than maybe for modern ethnonyms we could use the
derived –isk- form, to distinguish them from the old tribal names,
and in accord with historical development here. E.g. the Franks are
Fragkans, but the French are Fragkiskans (sg. masc. Fragkiska, fem.
Fragkisko) – cf. Fr. Francais < Mlat. Franciscus < Frank. Frankisk.
The same with Danes (Daneis and Daniskans, Modern Danish "Dansker"),
and maybe with British (Britiskans)?

Ualarauans