Wulfila, Alareiks, Aþanagilds

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun May 27 22:06:21 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Abdoer-Ragmaan Lombard"
<manielombard at ...> wrote:

> Dear LN, do I get you right here?
>

> 1) Alareiks declined like frijonds, i. e.:
>
> Alareiks, gen. Alareikis, dat. Alareik, acc. Alareik
>

> but
>

> 2) Aþanagilds, Þaúrismoþs and Þiudamers declined like dags, i. e.:
>
> Aþanagilds, gen. Aþanagildis, dat. Aþanagilda, acc. Aþanagild
>
> Þaúrismoþs, gen. Þaúrismodis, dat. Þaúrismoda, acc. Þaúrismoþ
>
> Þiudamers, gen. Þiudameris, dat. Þiudamera, acc. Þiudamer

Yes, that would be my provisional guess, unless anyone has evidence to
the contrary.

> Schönfeld wrote:
>
> "Tarbigildus (Greek: Targíbildos, Tribígildos, Argíbildos; Latin:
> Tarbigilus, Trabigilus, Thrabigilus, Tragbilus,...) Während das
> zweite Glied das bekannte -"gildus" ist (das bisweilen zu -"gilus"
> entstellt ist), ist das erste Glied schwerer zu deuten. Die
> Überlieferung weist wohl eher auf "Tarbi"- (zu "Tarbus" ?) als
> auf "Trivi"- (das kaum zu "Tervingi" gehören könnte) hin.
> In "Targíbildos" und "Trigíldos" liegt Verschreibung vor."

So, if these last two are exceptional variants, presumably there's no
connection then with *targo "small shield, buckler, targe", or the
'trigildus' "threefold compensation" mentioned in the Burgundian Laws
(cf. the 'novigildus' "ninefold compensation" named there also)...

> "Tarbus: (Barbare) Akk. Sg. Tárbon. Germanisch, oder griechisch: zu
> tárbos 'Schrecken'"
>

> "Tervingi: von Ammian wohl unter griechischem Einfluß
> als "Thervingi" geschrieben,

Maybe, although I've read that there was some tendency among not so
well educated people to add an etymologically spurious 'h' in such
words, even of native Latin origin [
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7528 ], on the model of Greek
loanwords.  I can imagine that a such hypercorrect spellings would be
especially liable to creep in barbarian names (neither Latin nor
Greek) due to unfamiliarity with these languages and a lack of
established writing conventions.

> gehört, ebenso wie "Ala-terviae" zu
> got. "triu", an. "tré", ags. "tréo(w)", afri. "trê", as. "treo,
> trio" 'Baum'; die Vollstufe finden wir auch in abulg. "drevo" (aus
> *der-u-o-), lit. "dervà", die o-Stufe in gr. "dóry" 'Holz,
> Speer';...Die Westgoten bekamen zur Zeit, da sie das waldreiche
> Dazien bewohnten, den Beinamen "Tervingi" 'Waldbewohner'...
> Merkwürdig ist die bei den Scriptores überlieferte Form "Virting"-
> aus *"Tirwingi"- statt "Tervingi", got. *"Taírwingos."

Thanks, I hadn't heard of this form Virting till now.  Is there any
possibility that it could be due to confusion in late Latin between
the once distinct /e/ and /i/?  (On the other hand, Crimean Gothic for
one seems to have been a dialect in which Proto-Germanic /e/ and /i/
weren't confused as they were in the ancestor of Biblical Gothic, so
there may well have been a lot more variety in this respect than is
apparent from the few surviving Gothic manuscripts.)  Related words in
Germanic: OE teoru, teru, n., tier(e)we, f.,  -teoru, -tare, -tara,
m.? "tar, resin; earwax", and ON tyri "resinous fir-tree".

LN