A word idea

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 28 13:28:18 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd agree about *addi-hveitei F.-n (or maybe *addja-?).

addi-hveitei is good enough for egg white.

I'm not sure
> if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.

is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

 If it was,
> then the Gothic form for "yolk" could be *gilwika M.-a, and
for "eye
> white" (and "protein"?) *hveitika M.-a.

Maybe hveitika could be used for protein then to have different words
for protein and egg white.

What I would argue with a
> little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
> not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
> borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
> Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.

I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
gothic?

/F