A word idea

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 29 01:11:05 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...>
wrote:

> I'm not sure
> > if the OE ending = Go. –ik-/-uk- as a diminutive suffix.
>
> is this suffix a diminutive suffix?

I guess so. At least it seems to have been used in pet names
alongside with –il- which is surely diminutive, cf. *Hildiko F. in
Getica, also *Gibika M. (atta Gunþiharjis, Geislaharjis jah
Gudameris, kindine Baurgundjos, þaiei afar imma haihaitun jah
Gibikuggos), ON Bjarki = Go. *Bairika M. "little bear". There must
be more examples probably...

> What I would argue with a
> > little more assuredness is that Slavik –úk- (like in be/ilok) can
> > not be cognate to the Germanic forms, save in the case it was
> > borrowed from there. The 1st consonant shift forbids that. The
> > Germanic match is probably Go. –(e)igs, -ags/-ahs; OE –ig, -eg.
>
> I guessed so too, and I thought it couldve been a loan...maybe from
> gothic?

Or it could be cognate to Latin –icus and Greek –ikos? I don't know,
though.

Ualarauans