Reiks at war

the_lothian the_lothian at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 12 17:51:11 UTC 2007

Thanks for helping. I will, on your explanations, drop the Draughtins
from the book. I appreciate your help.

I found a large lexicon of Gothic words, at
(http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/gotol-EI-X.html) but none
of those you fellows used was found when I did a search for them.

Is there a site that would give me the definitions of some of those
words?

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> To add to Ingemer's notes:
>
> 1. Reiks is the nominative singular; the final -s is extremely common
> for Gothic masculine nouns. Reik is the accusative singular.
>
> 2. There's a lot of speculation about Gothic political vocabulary.
> Wulfila offers a glimpse of this, but he's one author, with one
> subject, and we don't have the rest.
>
> 3. Reiks may be a catch-all, so that anyone with political power,
> whether commander, chieftain or king, would be a reiks.
>
> 4. *Drauhtins is an unattested speculative form, based on drauhtinon,
> gadrauhts, etc.
>
> 5. A householder might be an andbahts. A subordinate commander might
> be a [unit size]-faþs, e.g. þiusundifaþs, hundafaþs, etc.
possibly