Reiks at war

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Nov 12 23:26:42 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "the_lothian" <the_lothian at ...> wrote:

> Thanks for helping. I will, on your explanations, drop the Draughtins
> from the book. I appreciate your help.
>
> I found a large lexicon of Gothic words, at
> (http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/gotol-EI-X.html) but none
> of those you fellows used was found when I did a search for them.
>
> Is there a site that would give me the definitions of some of those
> words?
>
> Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it.

Streitberg's dictionary is good for reliable and detailed for
definitions (and grammar) of attested words [
http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/ ].  Köbler includes many
hypothetical reconstructions, including some based on competing
explanations [ http://www.koeblergerhard.de/gotwbhin.html ].  There
are links to some other glossaries here [
http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/gothiclinks.htm#dictionaries ].  To
see how a word is used in context, you can search for all or part of a
word at the Project Wulfila [ http://www.wulfila.be/Corpus/Search.html
].  This includes the all of the main texts: Gothic Bible, The
Skeireins, the Calendar and the Deeds.  But it doesn't include all the
words in marginal glosses.

Here are some terms for leaders recorded in the Gothic Bible:

fauramaþleis. "ruler, superintendent", translates Greek ARCWN;
"governor", translates Greek EQNARCHS.
frauja. "lord", translates Greek KURIOS (& on one occasion DESPOTHS).
fraujinonds. "lord", translates Greek DESPOTHS on one occasion.
hundafaþs. "centurion", translates Greek hEKARTONARCOS (& on one
occasion KENTURIWN).
kindins. "governor", translates Greek hHGEMWN.
reiks. "ruler", translates Greek ARCWN.
þiudans. "king", translates Greek BASILEUS.
þusundifaþs. "chiliarch, leader of a thousand men", translates Greek
CILIARCOS.

The Visigothic laws refer to an officer titled 'thiufadus' (i.e. in
Biblical Gothic spelling *'þiufaþs').