INTRO / question about texts written only in elder futhark

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 27 18:13:39 UTC 2007

I wrote "short inscriptions", not "general texts".
As I know, the old Futhark was used in general (not only by the
Goths, but also by other Germanic peoples) only for such short
inscriptions (1 or several words) on different items.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore at ...> wrote:

> Hi,
> You are quite right. The old Futhark has only names and magical
> words. The full futhark is found in Stånga, Gotland as part of a
> grave end 4th century.
>
> The only other word on this stone is SUEUS which is an palindrom.
>
> Tore
>
> 27 nov 2007 kl. 15.33 skrev gerhard sollinger:
>

> > Hi Francisc
> >
> > The runic inscriptiones on gothic weapeones, necklesses and
> > gravestones only proofs that the goth tribes new the Runes as
> > magickal "alphabet" but not that they have used it for writing
> > general texts. Usually Runes were taboo for such uses, or does
> > someone know of the existence of texts, written only in runic
> > symbols ?
> >

> > Gerhard__._,_hI.___ Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web
post)
> > | Start a new topic
> > Messages | Members
> > You are a member of the Gothic-L list. To unsubscribe, send a
blank
> > email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> >
> > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
> > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest |
Switch