question about texts written only in elder futhark

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 27 21:40:40 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, gerhard sollinger <wothswulf at ...>
wrote:

> The runic inscriptiones on gothic weapeones, necklesses and
gravestones only
> proofs that the goth tribes new the Runes as magickal "alphabet"
but not that
> they have used it for writing general texts.

The scanty evidence that we have of the Gothic runes proves exactly
the opposite: the Goths did use them for writing texts (_gutani j
[er] hailag_ (Pietroasa) is a text, albeit a very short one) while
there are no traces of the so called "runic magic".

Afaik there are no runic gravestones which can be ascribed to the
continental Goths. The recently discovered inscription on a stone
stela found on Opuk mountain in the Crimea may represent one, but
since its runes (_þpra_)are not easily interpreted as Gothic word(s)
we don't know for sure what its purpose was, i.e. was it an object
of religious worship, a cenotaph of a Gothic viking or something
else.

> Usually Runes were taboo for such
> uses, or does someone know of the existence of texts, written only
in runic
symbols ?

They were not taboo. In my understanding the runes were primarily
designed to serve the purpose of writing, not magic. There are a lot
of short and often formulaic phrases written in Elder Futhark, e.g.
_ek hlewagastiR holtijaR horna tawido_ (Gallehus). Longer texts are
also known, see Björketorp and Eggjum inscriptions.

Ualarauans