Translating Getica (cerva) + Drus Grutigge

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 1 01:38:11 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Go. *hinda F -o, or *hindo F -on (OE hind, ON hind; OLG *hinda
(MDu.,
> Du. hinde), OHG hinta (MHG, Ger. hinde), wk. fem.  The OED
says "some
> suggest derivation from Goth. hinþan to catch; others would
connect it
> with Gr. KEMAS young deer, pricket."

FFT say it's from PG *hindî (> Go. *hindei F.-ein) which seems
strange to me. They also say it's from earlier *hemdî and cognate to
KEMAS (Gen. KEMADOS). Interestingly, NHG has Hinde and Hindin, both
feminine. I guess it's this latter Hindin (with an "extra"
feminizator) which led some to conclude about an –în- stem. OE and
ON as I can gather are F.-o, right?

Þata was leitil waiht, / liþau unmahteig. / HINDA (?) hvarboda / af
hairdai ainA. / Jah seiþu warþ. / Jah saurgandEI warþ. / FralusanA
in fanja, / SI rann framis.

hatiza, iþ RAIHON / rinnan lailotun. / Nahts neiþhardus. / Fraus
nasos IZOS smalos.

Is it OK with the rhyme now I wonder?

Ualarauans