Translating Getica (cerva) + Drus Griutunge

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 3 01:17:06 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> There we go:
>
> http://www.oe.eclipse.co.uk/nom/drus.htm
>
> Let me know if you spot any masculine pronouns or endings left over
> from before the deer's gender change (when hind was hart); I
*think* I
> got them all...

The only one I (seem to) have found is /Harduba was anaprangan/
which is translated "She was hard pressed". But this may refer
to /þata airpo dius/ rather than to /si/ in the next strophe.

A couple more comments while we are upon it...

/waurhtida ijos du wargam/ - (ga)waurhta?

/Wulþuweiseis/ "The glorious Visigoths" – but there's an opinion
that it was rather PG. *wesu- or *wezu- "good" (with a lot of
parallels in other IE languages) which accounts for Visi(goths).
*Wulþuwisjus:*Wulþuwiseis?

/suns selaizos sunnons broþar/. Since sels is an i-stem, probably
seljaizos?

/fauhrtjan uns/. A typo!!! (ALARM!ALARM!ALARM!)

/Hvana ahjis, dwala, þatei usdreiban mageis?/ "Whom, fool, doest
thou imagine that thou might drive out?" – perhaps, þanei usdreiban,
no? And, forgive my pardonless teaching English to a native speaker,
but is it not "thou mightest"?

And I like your *niqis for "water monster" (or smth like this)!

What worries me about our *raih(j)o:*raig(j)o is whether the word
could by some chance have a -hv-:-gw- alternation after Verner's
Law. In which case we'd have Gothic *ráihv(j)o:*raiw(j)o
(cf. ahva:awi = OE ea:íg).

Ualarauans