Drus Griutunge

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 3 18:18:34 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> [...]
> Thanks for all your eagle-eyed observations!

Well, since I am obviously commended (arins augo! – I'm flattered
and blushing) I feel ready to drop in some more... eh... remarks.

/allaim inu hrabna/ "for all but the raven" – probably I fail to see
something which is evident allaim inuh (Walha)hrabna, but if it is
the preposition inu(h) "without" it should govern accusative. Maybe,
allaim alja hrabna with alja "except"? Or niba(i)?

Awimundus (PN). Thinking of niuja-satiþs (but niu-klahs) I wonder
could the name be occasionally spelt *Aujamundus or even *Aumundus?

/Jah miþ unhulþom arþu nemun/ "And with fiends they dwelt" – iirc
Jordanes' point was that the demons were actually male (incubi). Miþ
unhulþam (dat. pl. masc.)?

/fulk unkausiþ jah faurhtjando/ "a force untried and fearful". I'd
just like to ask whether fulk unfraisan could be equally possible (I
translated inexpertus exercitus as unfraisans harjis in the Attilae
alloquium. Maybe I should change it to unkausiþs)?

/Hilms gulþahrudans im ana haubiþ ni sat/ "No gilt helm sat upon
their heads" – ana haubida (dat. sg.)? Or maybe ana haubidam (pl.)?

/Jus þan ... airlos allai gadauþnand/ "Then all ye doughty ones ...
shall die" – gadauþniþ (2nd pers. pl.)?

/Ga-nu-riqizjadau himins strelom/ "So let the heavens be blotted
with the bolts"
and
/Inreiradau grundus ... hrussam/ "Let the ground quiver ... with
[our] steeds" – the attested verbs riqizjan and reiran are
intransitive, and I don't know if they could be used with what seems
to be dativus auctoris like transitives in mediopassive. Do we have
any examples?

/Ik þuk nu faigjana wait jah funs haljos/ "I know now that thou art
dead already and eager for thy grave" – funsana haljos? Or it's
Audika who is eager for Ibra's grave (funs [im] haljos [þeinaizos])?

/Sijaidu afhugidai?/ "Are ye bewitched?" – if this aims at the two
above, then it should be dual, probably sijaitsu?

And I'd like to add that I re-read the poem ever again with a non-
lessening pleasure. Waila gawaurhtes waurstw þata mikilo, Lama!

Ualarauans