Translating Getica (cerva) + Drus Griutunge

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Oct 4 00:05:22 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> [...] however 'thou might' also appears in the King James
> Bible as subjunctive

Correction, 'thou might' doesn't, but other verbs do.  There seems to
be a choice of subjunctive or indicative in some contexts at least:

For though thou wash thee with nitre

Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee
with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in
vain shalt thou make thyself fair;

though thou be sought for, yet shalt thou never be found again,

though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away,

Thanks for the extra comments - and the extra praise!  It would be a
poorer poem without your help.  I'll have a proper look through them
tomorrow.  Just a couple of replies: 'unhulþo' and 'skohsl', though
feminine and neuter respectively, are each found with a masculine
adjective on occasion (Mt 9:33, Mk 8:31; and cf. Mk 3:22 þamma
reikistin unhulþono)--see Streitberg 236.1.  But, given the story, it
might be better to make them explicitly male, 'miþ unhulþam'.  You're
right about 'funsana' and 'gadauþniþ' and 'haubida'...