Drus Griutunge

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Oct 4 15:20:28 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> /Ga-nu-riqizjadau himins strelom/ "So let the heavens be blotted
> with the bolts"
> and
> /Inreiradau grundus ... hrussam/ "Let the ground quiver ... with
> [our] steeds" – the attested verbs riqizjan and reiran are
> intransitive, and I don't know if they could be used with what seems
> to be dativus auctoris like transitives in mediopassive. Do we have
> any examples?

This isn't quite the same, but compare the use of dative both in the
passive 'was ... gawasiþs taglam ulbandaus' and the active
intransitive 'hve wasjaima', 'gawasjam sarwam liuhadis', 'ni wasjaiþ
twaim paidom'.  Or 'agisa mikillamma dishaibaida wesun' : 'ohtedun
agisa mikilamma'.  But can we generalise from that to other uses of
the dative?  I'll see if I can find a closer match somewhere.  Or
would a preposition help: miþ, fram, af?